Sugar Cookie Cutouts Recipe
I must have over 100 different cookie cutters and have had fun putting them to use with this recipe over the years. Each Christmas, my brother, sister and I would eagerly wait for Grandpa and Grandma to arrive with these cookies in tow. —Elizabeth Walters, Waterloo, Iowa
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 4 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- Food coloring and colored sugar, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in cream. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 325° for 6-8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 3. In another large bowl, cream butter, sugar, vanilla and enough cream to achieve spreading consistency. Add food coloring if desired. Frost cookies. Sprinkle with colored sugar if desired. Yield: 8 dozen.
2 cookies equals 139 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 129 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC