- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 4 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- Food coloring and colored sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in cream. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 325° for 6-8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In another large bowl, cream butter, sugar, vanilla and enough cream to achieve spreading consistency. Add food coloring if desired. Frost cookies. Sprinkle with colored sugar if desired. Yield: 8 dozen.
Reviews for Sugar Cookie Cutouts
"These cookies were a huge hit when made as rubber ducks for my cousins bridal shower (he proposed with rubber ducks). The only problem I had was with the frosting being a little clumpy, I would suggest sifting the powdered sugar to make sure there are no lumps."
"My family cant stay away from these. I have finally found the only recipe i will use for now on whhen comes to cutout cookies!"
"This has become our family's traditional cutout recipe. I have not tried the icing listed, but make several batches of this cookie through the year. We love it! As for the sticky dough, we just use lots of flour in working with it and the taste and texture is wonderful!"
"when i tried this recipe it came out to much baking soda n baking powder taste had to throw it the trash can. and was hard to work with too to sticky find a different recipe"