Here's a pretty dish with old-time sugar 'n' spice flavor that's a holiday tradition in our family-for brunch or dinner. It's also a wonderfully easy way to put plain old canned peaches in a festive mood!
Recommended: 22 Ways to Cook with Cinnamon
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 cans (29 ounces each) peach halves
- Cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 22 whole cloves
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring, optional
- Drain peaches, reserving 1 cup juice. Set peaches aside. Place cinnamon sticks and cloves on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag. In a saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar, food coloring if desired and reserved peach juice. Add spice bag. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Place the peaches in a large bowl. Pour sauce over peaches; stir gently to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 days, stirring occasionally. Discard spice bag. Yield: 22 servings.
Originally published as Spiced Peaches in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2005, p16