Sugar 'n' Spice Nuts
To tell the truth, I can't recall where this recipe came from. It's been a regular in my holiday baking, though, for many years. Between Thanksgiving and New Year's, I hand these out to almost everybody—even the mailman's been known to find a batch in the mailbox!
I moved from a big city as a bride. My husband soon persuaded me to enter baked goods at our county fair—now, our son,
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 3 cups lightly salted mixed nuts
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Place nuts in a large bowl. In a small bowl, beat egg white and
- orange juice with a fork until foamy. Add the sugar, orange peel,
- cinnamon, ginger and allspice; mix well. Pour over nuts and stir to
- Spread into an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at
- 275° for 45-50 minutes or until nuts are crisp and lightly
- browned, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Cool completely. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 4 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/3 cup) equals 250 calories, 18 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 234 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.