Sugar 'n' Spice Nuts Recipe
- 3 cups lightly salted mixed nuts
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Place nuts in a large bowl. In a small bowl, beat egg white and orange juice with a fork until foamy. Add the sugar, orange peel, cinnamon, ginger and allspice; mix well. Pour over nuts and stir to coat.
- Spread into an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 275° for 45-50 minutes or until nuts are crisp and lightly browned, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Cool completely. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 4 cups.
Reviews for Sugar 'n' Spice Nuts
Sort By :
I had to adapt this recipe to ingredients that I had on hand. I used Craisins, almonds, pecans & walnuts. Because the nuts were not salted, I added 1 tsp Kosher salt to the sugar mixture. One more thing I'd like to add is that the egg white should be whisked with 1 TBSP water and whisked till very thick before adding nuts & fruit.
This is definietly a 5 Star recipe. I've made this 4 or 5 times already. I would say its important that you whisk the egg white with 1 TBSP water till its thick before adding the nuts and fruit.
I had to adapt the recipe to ingredients I had in the house. I used Craisins, almonds, pecans & walnuts....because none of the nuts were salted, I added 1 tsp kosher salt to the sugar and spice mix.
These are awesome. You might as well make a double batch the first time around. The first batch was gone so quick I had to make another one.
I needed these nuts for an appetizer and my family ate them all. I had to make another batch. Next time I'll just double it. They really are awesome.