To tell the truth, I can't recall where this recipe came from. It's been a regular in my holiday baking, though, for many years. Between Thanksgiving and New Year's, I hand these out to almost everybody—even the mailman's been known to find a batch in the mailbox! I moved from a big city as a bride. My husband soon persuaded me to enter baked goods at our county fair—now, our son, 8, is my cookie tester, and our daughter, 6, is the egg beater.
- 3 cups lightly salted mixed nuts
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Place nuts in a large bowl. In a small bowl, beat egg white and orange juice with a fork until foamy. Add the sugar, orange peel, cinnamon, ginger and allspice; mix well. Pour over nuts and stir to coat.
- Spread into an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 275° for 45-50 minutes or until nuts are crisp and lightly browned, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Cool completely. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 4 cups.
Originally published as Sugar 'n' Spice Nuts in Country Woman November/December 1993, p33
Reviews for Sugar 'n' Spice Nuts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review