Sugar 'n' Spice Cookies Recipe
An inexpensive meal can still include dessert like these simple cookies. They are a sweet and tart treat.—Dottie LaPierre, Woburn, Massachusetts
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling YIELD:27 servings
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- LEMON FROSTING:
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3 to 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes. Remove to wire racks; cool.
- 3. For frosting, cream the confectioners' sugar, butter and peel in a large bowl. Gradually add lemon juice, beating until frosting achieves desired spreading consistency. Frost cookies. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 169 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 107 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC