Sugar 'n' Spice Cookies Recipe
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- LEMON FROSTING:
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3 to 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes. Remove to wire racks; cool.
- 3. For frosting, cream the confectioners' sugar, butter and peel in a large bowl. Gradually add lemon juice, beating until frosting achieves desired spreading consistency. Frost cookies. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.
2 each: 169 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 107mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 0g fiber), 1g protein .
Reviews for Sugar 'n' Spice Cookies
"My family loves frosted cookies and this is one that I make that never lasts long after they are frosted. They are really good."
"In a time crunch, I used prepackaged gingersnap cookies but made the frosting as stated. I got so many raves for this dessert when I paired it with a BBQ luncheon. The frosting was not runny and kept it's shape. Instead of spreading the frosting on the top of the cookies, I dipped half the cookie from the side and put two on a dessert plate. The added lemon zest gave the wow factor. I plan on making the cookies from the recipe next time."