An inexpensive meal can still include dessert like these simple cookies. They are a sweet and tart treat.—Dottie LaPierre, Woburn, Massachusetts
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- LEMON FROSTING:
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3 to 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes. Remove to wire racks; cool.
- For frosting, cream the confectioners' sugar, butter and peel in a large bowl. Gradually add lemon juice, beating until frosting achieves desired spreading consistency. Frost cookies. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Sugar 'n' Spice Cookies in Taste of Home October/November 1996, p19
Reviews for Sugar 'n' Spice Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review