You can't get more "Southern" than succotash. This recipe comes from my mother, who was a fantastic cook. This dish made her famous at least with everyone who ever tasted it.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1-3/4 hours + cooling Cook: 1 hour YIELD:12-16 servings
- 1 smoked ham hock (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups frozen lima beans, thawed
- 1 package (10 ounces) crowder peas, thawed or 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup sliced fresh or frozen okra
- 1. In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, simmer ham hock in water for 1-1/2 hours or until tender. Cool; remove meat from the bone and return to pan. (Discard bone and broth or save for another use.) Add the tomatoes, beans, peas, corn, green pepper, onion, ketchup and seasonings. Simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes. Add okra; simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes longer. Discard bay leaf before serving. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 218 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 442 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 16 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC