Stuffing from the Slow Cooker
If you're hosting a big Thanksgiving dinner this year, add this simple, slow-cooked stuffing to your menu to ease entertaining. This recipe comes in handy when you run out of oven space at large family gatherings. I use it often. —Mrs. Donald Seiler, Macon, Mississippi
10 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup butter
- 6 cups cubed day-old white bread
- 6 cups cubed day-old whole wheat bread
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 eggs, beaten
- In a small nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook onion and celery
- in butter until tender.
- In a large bowl, combine the bread cubes, salt, poultry seasoning,
- sage and pepper. Stir in onion mixture. Combine broth and eggs; add
- to bread mixture and toss to coat.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray. Cover and
- cook on low for 3-4 hours or until a thermometer reads 160°.
- Yield: 10 servings.