Stuffing Bread Recipe
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon rubbed sage
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (120° to 130°)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 egg
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 to 4 cups chicken broth or water
- In a bowl, combine 2 cups flour, yeast, sugar and seasonings. Add water and oil; beat just until moistened. Add egg and beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Shape into a large round loaf. Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 375° for 25-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- To make stuffing, cut cooled bread into 1-in. slices and then into cubes. Let stand for 24 hours to dry. In a large bowl, combine the bread cubes, eggs, butter and enough broth to achieve desired moistness. Stir to blend. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 60 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Stuffing Bread
Sort By :
"Made this up about a week before Thanksgiving and froze the bread crumbs once they were dried. Added lots of onion, three celery, shredded two carrots, stick of butter and thought the recipe needed a bit more spice. Mixed all the spices together in a zip loc baggie and sprinkled by pinches until the official taster (husband)determinded it was just right! He thought that it was the closest I have ever come to his mothers! High compliment indeed! Will make again next time I need stuffing!"