Stuffed Zucchini Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1-1/4 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce, divided
- 2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 4 to 5 medium zucchini
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a large bowl, combine first 11 ingredients and one can of the tomato sauce; mix well. Stir in tomatoes. Halve zucchini lengthwise; scoop out seeds. Fill with meat mixture; place in two 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Spoon remaining tomato sauce over each.
- 2. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 45 minutes or until the zucchini is tender. Sprinkle with cheese during the last few minutes of baking. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 221 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 511 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 20 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.