Stuffed Whole Cabbage Recipe
My husband's great about trying new recipes—like this one I experimented with before getting just right! We're the parents of a girl, 6 and a boy, 4.
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large head cabbage (4 pounds)
- 3/4 cup cooked rice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/4 cups water, divided
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. Combine sauce ingredients; set aside. In a skillet, cook beef and onion until meat is browned and onion is tender; remove from the heat and drain.
- 2. Leaving a 1-in. shell and the core intact, cut out and chop the inside of the cabbage. To beef, add 1 cup chopped cabbage, 1 cup sauce, rice, egg, salt and pepper; mix well. Spoon into cabbage shell.
- 3. Place 2 cups water, the remaining chopped cabbage and the remaining sauce in a Dutch oven; mix well. Carefully add stuffed cabbage, meat side up. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1-1/2 hours or until whole cabbage is tender. Remove cabbage to a serving platter and keep warm.
- 4. Combine the cornstarch and remaining water; add to Dutch oven. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; boil for 2 minutes. Pour over the cabbage; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cut into wedges to serve. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 264 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 65 mg cholesterol, 683 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 18 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC