Stuffed Turkey Spirals Recipe
To create these impressive appetizers, Renee Aupperle of Litiz, Pennsylvania rolls up turkey breast halves with ham and cheese, bakes and slices them, then serves them with a creamy basil sauce. "They're great for a buffet because you can prepare them ahead and bake them right before serving," she notes.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours YIELD:30 servings
- 2 boneless skinless turkey breast halves (1 pound each)
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 4 teaspoons dried basil, divided
- 1 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- 1 pound thinly sliced Swiss cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- BASIL SAUCE:
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 to 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1. Cut each turkey breast horizontally from the long side to within 1/2 in. of opposite side. Open flat; cover with plastic wrap. Flatten into 12-in. x 10-in. rectangles.
- 2. Remove plastic; top each with 1 teaspoon oil and 1 teaspoon basil. Layer with ham and cheese to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; tie with kitchen string. Place on a rack in a roasting pan.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the salt, pepper and remaining oil and basil; spoon some over turkey.
- 4. Bake at 325° for 75-90 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°; basting occasionally with remaining oil mixture.
- 5. In a blender, combine the sauce ingredients; cover and process until blended. Cool turkey for 5 minutes before slicing; serve with basil sauce. Yield: about 30 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 218 calories, 19 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 336 mg sodium, 1 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC