Stuffed Tomatoes with Rice Recipe
Here's a pretty side dish that will please everyone who tastes it. Stuffed with brown or white rice, these tomatoes can be prepared ahead and baked hours later-so they're perfect for a busy hostess.
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1-1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1. Cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/2-in. shell; discard seeds. Chop pulp and set aside. Sprinkle the insides of tomatoes with salt; invert onto paper towels to drain.
- 2. In a small skillet, saute onion in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Add reserved tomato pulp; cook until most of the liquid is evaporated. Remove from the heat; stir in the rice, cheese, parsley, basil and garlic salt.
- 3. Stuff into tomato shells; dot with remaining butter. Place in a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 238 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 589 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
Reviews for Stuffed Tomatoes with Rice
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC