Stuffed-to-the-Gills Pizza Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups water (70° to 80°)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 pound hard salami, diced
- 30 slices pepperoni
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 plum tomato, diced
- 1. In bread machine pan, place the first six ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes or mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and punch down; divide in half. Roll one portion into a 13-in. circle. Place on a greased 14-in. pizza pan.
- 2. In a bowl, combine the tomato sauce, tomato paste, garlic, Italian seasoning and pepper flakes. Spread 3/4 cup over dough to within 1 in. of edge. Sprinkle with the sausage, salami, pepperoni, onion, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.
- 3. Roll the remaining dough into a 12-1/2-in. circle. Place over the pizza; seal edges. Cut four slits in top. Spread with the remaining sauce. Bake at 375° for 35 minutes. Sprinkle with diced tomato and remaining cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 8 slices.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 547 calories, 20 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 1,417 mg sodium, 67 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 23 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.