Stuffed Sweet Onions Recipe
- 3 quarts water
- 4 medium sweet onions, peeled
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 6 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped fully cooked lean ham
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs, divided
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add onions; cover and boil for 9-11 minutes or until tender. Drain; cool for 5 minutes. Cut a thin slice off the top of each onion; carefully hollow out, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Chop removed onion.
- 2. In a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook the chopped onion, green onion and parsley in 4 teaspoons butter for 3 minutes. Add the ham, salt, celery seed, pepper and garlic powder; cook until onions are tender and ham is lightly browned. Stir in 1/4 cup bread crumbs; heat through. Stuff into onion shells.
- 3. Melt remaining butter; toss with remaining bread crumbs. Sprinkle over stuffing. Broil 6 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes or until crumbs are lightly browned and onions are heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
1 stuffed onion: 158 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 597mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.