Stuffed Sweet Onions with Bacon Recipe
- 4 medium sweet onions
- 2 small zucchini, shredded
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 4 thick-sliced bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1. Peel onions and cut a 1/4-in. slice from the top and bottom. Carefully cut and remove the center of each onion, leaving a 1/2-in. shell; chop removed onion.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute the zucchini, garlic and chopped onions in oil until tender and juices are reduced. Stir in the basil, thyme, salt and pepper. Remove from the heat. Stir in the bread crumbs, bacon and Parmesan cheese. Fill onion shells with zucchini mixture.
- 3. Place in a greased 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker. Add broth to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until onions are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
1 stuffed onion: 284 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 641mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 5g fiber), 11g protein .
Reviews for Stuffed Sweet Onions with Bacon
"the was great with chop, and with steak, the second time I made this I added more garlic .will make again it is a keeper ..no stars but I give it 5"