Stuffed Sweet Onions with Bacon Recipe
This unique side dish is perfect to serve alongside grilled steak or pork chops. Even if you're not an onion fan, the low heat and long cooking time of this dish mellows and sweetens the naturally sharp onion flavors that many dislike.—Erin Chilcoat, Smithtown, New York
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. Cook: 4 hours YIELD:4 servings
- 4 medium sweet onions
- 2 small zucchini, shredded
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 4 thick-sliced bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1. Peel onions and cut a 1/4-in. slice from the top and bottom. Carefully cut and remove the center of each onion, leaving a 1/2-in. shell; chop removed onion.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute the zucchini, garlic and chopped onions in oil until tender and juices are reduced. Stir in the basil, thyme, salt and pepper. Remove from the heat. Stir in the bread crumbs, bacon and Parmesan cheese. Fill onion shells with zucchini mixture.
- 3. Place in a greased 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker. Add broth to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until onions are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
1 stuffed onioin equals 284 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 641 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC