Stuffed Squash for Two Recipe
- 1 medium acorn squash
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 3 tablespoons chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup salad croutons
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking pan; add 1/2 in. of hot water.
- 2. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Drain water from pan; turn squash cut side up. Brush with butter; sprinkle with brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Bake 30-40 minutes or longer or until squash is tender.
- 3. Meanwhile, in small skillet, cook the beef, celery and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the flour, sage and remaining salt. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 4. Remove from the heat; stir in croutons. Spoon into squash halves. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
1 each: 607 calories, 27g fat (14g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 1418mg sodium, 63g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 5g fiber), 31g protein .
Reviews for Stuffed Squash for Two
"Very tasty, have made this a few times now. Very easy to make"
"I have another stuffed squash recipe using sausage which I really love, but recently decided to try this one too. It was very good even though I made some changes for it to be gluten free. I used brown rice flour instead of the all-purpose. And instead of the salad croutons, I used cooked rice.I think it would probably be much more flavorful using croutons. When I make this again, I will add more seasonings -- more sage, and possibly some poultry seasoning or steak seasoning.I used buttercup squash (the same approximate shape and size as acorn, but much more flavorful!). We prefer it to acorn."
"I have been making this wonderful recipe since it first showed up in the magazine! It remains one of my all-time favorite dishes!"
"I made this dish for the first time and guarantee I will be making it again and again. It was delicious."