Stuffed Squash for Two Recipe
My husband and I love this recipe as newlyweds, and now that our children are grown, we are enjoying it again. As soon as the weather turns cool, we get hungry for this squash dish, filled with savory ground beef and topped with a sprinkling of cheese. -Barbara Rohlck Sioux Falls, South Dakota
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 65 min. YIELD:2 servings
- 1 medium acorn squash
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound ground turkey or beef
- 3 tablespoons chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup salad croutons
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking pan; add 1/2 in. of hot water.
- 2. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Drain water from pan; turn squash cut side up. Brush with butter; sprinkle with brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Bake 30-40 minutes or longer or until squash is tender.
- 3. Meanwhile, in small skillet, cook the beef, celery and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the flour, sage and remaining salt. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 4. Remove from the heat; stir in croutons. Spoon into squash halves. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 607 calories, 27 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 100 mg cholesterol, 1,418 mg sodium, 63 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 31 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC