Stuffed Spinach Loaf Recipe
My mom made this recipe once years ago and I always remembered how good it tasted! So I made it myself from memory, and it was a big hit! Folks who think they don't like spinach are in for a surprise when they try it.
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen spinach, thawed and well-drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Sprinkle with salt and basil. Roll out bread dough to a 13-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Sprinkle with meat mixture. Top with spinach; sprinkle with cheese. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under.
- 2. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 10 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 270 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 688 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 15 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC