Stuffed Sourdough Sandwiches Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons sliced ripe olives
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 sourdough rolls
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, chilies, mushrooms, chili powder, olives and garlic salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until heated through. Add cheese; cook and stir until melted.
- 2. Cut 1/4 in. off the top of each roll; set aside. Carefully hollow out bottom of roll, leaving a 1/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Fill each roll with about 1/2 cup meat mixture. Replace bread tops.
- 3. Individually wrap four sandwiches tightly in foil; freeze for up to 3 months. Place remaining sandwiches on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
- 4. To use frozen sandwiches: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place foil-wrapped sandwiches on baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 336 calories, 14g fat (7g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 811mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein .
Reviews for Stuffed Sourdough Sandwiches
"How much meat mixture is a serving? I'd like to divide the mixture into four equal packets."
"Very tasty, and I love that you can freeze some for later!"
"These were delicious. I made them exactly as written except I left out the mushrooms."
"Couldn't find any sourdough hoagie rolls not already cut. So we used the cut ones instead. Super easy to make. I thought it would be spicy but it wasn't. I like spice, but my boyfriend can't handle too much. He really like it. He said he could eat the meat mixture even without the bread."