Stuffed Sourdough Sandwiches Recipe
“These delicious stuffed sandwiches are easy to put together,” assures Shannon Hansen from Oxnard, California. “Some can be baked as soon as they’re assembled, while the rest can be frozen for a quick dinner later. Sometimes I use cubed sharp cheddar cheese instead of shredded cheese in these sandwiches.”
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons sliced ripe olives
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 sourdough rolls
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, chilies, mushrooms, chili powder, olives and garlic salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until heated through. Add cheese; cook and stir until melted.
- 2. Cut 1/4 in. off the top of each roll; set aside. Carefully hollow out bottom of roll, leaving a 1/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Fill each roll with about 1/2 cup meat mixture. Replace bread tops.
- 3. Individually wrap four sandwiches tightly in foil; freeze for up to 3 months. Place remaining sandwiches on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
- 4. To use frozen sandwiches: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place foil-wrapped sandwiches on baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 336 calories, 14 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 811 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 23 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC