“These delicious stuffed sandwiches are easy to put together,” assures Shannon Hansen from Oxnard, California. “Some can be baked as soon as they’re assembled, while the rest can be frozen for a quick dinner later. Sometimes I use cubed sharp cheddar cheese instead of shredded cheese in these sandwiches.”
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons sliced ripe olives
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 sourdough rolls
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, chilies, mushrooms, chili powder, olives and garlic salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until heated through. Add cheese; cook and stir until melted.
- Cut 1/4 in. off the top of each roll; set aside. Carefully hollow out bottom of roll, leaving a 1/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Fill each roll with about 1/2 cup meat mixture. Replace bread tops.
- Individually wrap four sandwiches tightly in foil; freeze for up to 3 months. Place remaining sandwiches on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
- To use frozen sandwiches: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place foil-wrapped sandwiches on baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Stuffed Sourdough Sandwiches in Simple & Delicious July/August 2006, p65
Reviews for Stuffed Sourdough Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 13, 2016
"How much meat mixture is a serving? I'd like to divide the mixture into four equal packets."
Reviewed May. 7, 2015
"Very tasty, and I love that you can freeze some for later!"
Reviewed Oct. 1, 2012
"These were delicious. I made them exactly as written except I left out the mushrooms."
Reviewed Sep. 5, 2011