Stuffed Shells with Meat Sauce Recipe
- 28 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (28 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, drained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups (24 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1. Cook pasta shells according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomatoes, 1/2 teaspoon oregano and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, cottage cheese, spinach, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, seasoned salt and remaining oregano. Drain pasta shells; cool slightly. Stuff with cheese mixture.
- 3. Spread 1 cup of meat sauce into each of two greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dishes; arrange shells over sauce in a single layer. Pour remaining meat sauce over the shells. Cover and bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 481 calories, 18 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 125 mg cholesterol, 1,300 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 36 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.