Stuffed Shells with Meat Sauce Recipe
- 28 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (28 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, drained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups (24 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1. Cook pasta shells according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomatoes, 1/2 teaspoon oregano and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, cottage cheese, spinach, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, seasoned salt and remaining oregano. Drain pasta shells; cool slightly. Stuff with cheese mixture.
- 3. Spread 1 cup of meat sauce into each of two greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dishes; arrange shells over sauce in a single layer. Pour remaining meat sauce over the shells. Cover and bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup: 481 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 125mg cholesterol, 1300mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 3g fiber), 36g protein.
Reviews for Stuffed Shells with Meat Sauce
"This recipe sounds great, can I use manicotti shells and marble jack cheese in place of the mozzarella cheese?"