Stuffed Shells with Meat Sauce Recipe
Even my "meat-and-potatoes" husband often requests these filling and flavorful shells. Chock-full of veggies and cheese, they make great cold-weather fare.
- 28 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (28 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, drained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups (24 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- Cook pasta shells according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomatoes, 1/2 teaspoon oregano and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, cottage cheese, spinach, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, seasoned salt and remaining oregano. Drain pasta shells; cool slightly. Stuff with cheese mixture.
- Spread 1 cup of meat sauce into each of two greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dishes; arrange shells over sauce in a single layer. Pour remaining meat sauce over the shells. Cover and bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Stuffed Shells with Meat Sauce in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2004, p39
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Stuffed Shells with Meat Sauce(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 15, 2007
This recipe sounds great, can I use manicotti shells and marble jack cheese in place of the mozzarella cheese?
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Pasta >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Christmas Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Main Dish Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Pasta Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >