Stuffed Round Steak Recipe
- 2 pounds beef top sirloin steaks, (about 1 pound each)
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups unseasoned stuffing cubes
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1. Flatten steaks to 1/4-in. thickness; set aside. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 3 tablespoons drippings.
- 2. Saute onion in the drippings. Add the croutons, parsley, salt, celery salt, sage, pepper and bacon. Spread over each steak to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; tie with kitchen string.
- 3. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Pour broth over steaks. Cover and bake at 325° for 1 hour. Drizzle with tomato sauce. Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until meat is tender.
- 4. Remove meat to a serving platter and keep warm. Pour drippings and loosened brown bits into a measuring cup; skim fat. In a saucepan, combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir in drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with sliced steak. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 each: 220 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 684mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Stuffed Round Steak
"After looking at similar recipes using flank steak, I tried this and it was fantastic. When pounded to 1/4 inch, the steak is as tender as can be. The stuffing and gravy were wonderful and the whole house smelled like heaven while it was cooking. My husband is already back in the kitchen nibbling at the leftovers. Thank you for sharing your mom's recipe! A lovely meal."
"Didn't like at all. Very chewy. Stuffing not very flavorful."
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.