Stuffed Roast Turkey Recipe
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 6 cups water
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 pounds day-old white bread, cubed and toasted
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2 cups boiling water
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Remove giblets from turkey. In a saucepan, bring water, giblets and neck to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until tender. Remove giblets with a slotted spoon; dice. Set aside 3 cups cooking liquid. In a bowl, combine egg substitute, bread crumbs, onions, celery, giblets, poultry seasoning, salt, sage and pepper. Add reserved cooking liquid; mix well. Just before baking, loosely stuff turkey with about 8 cups stuffing. Place remaining stuffing in a greased 2-qt. baking dish; refrigerate. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together. Place on a rack in a roasting pan. Brush with butter; sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake uncovered, at 325° for 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180° for turkey and 165° for stuffing, basting every 30 minutes (cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly). Bake additional stuffing for 35-40 minutes.
- For gravy, dissolve bouillon in water. In a saucepan, whisk flour and 1/4 cup pan drippings until smooth. Gradually add bouillon mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Serve with turkey and stuffing. Yield: 14-16 servings.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Stuffed Roast Turkey
Sort By :
"what do you do with the diced giblets?"
"My family loveesit, and I have a picky family too. thanks."
"This recipe is the best traditional recipe I have found! The turkey always comes out perfect and everyone raves about the stuffing. The time and love that goes into the preparation of this recipe is well worth it!!"