Stuffed Potato Dumplings Recipe
"THIS IS A sticky part of the meal to prepare, but these dumplings are so good they're worth the mess! When I was a child, I loved to watch the cooking dumplings pop to the top of the pot of boiling water. We youngsters always had two helpings...one with sauerbraten gravy and the other with warm plum jam on top!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 10 min. YIELD:7 servings
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 slices dry bread, cut into small cubes
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1. For croutons, melt butter in small skillet; brown bread cubes. Set aside.
- 2. In a saucepan, boil potatoes in water to cover until tender. Cool; rice potatoes and place in a large bowl. Add the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Stir in eggs; beat until mixture holds it shape.
- 3. With lightly floured hands, shape about 2 tablespoons dough into a ball, placing a few croutons in center of each ball. Repeat with remaining dough and croutons. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 4. Drop dumplings into boiling salted water (2 teaspoons salt to 1 quart water). Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Drain. Melt butter in a small skillet; cook and stir the bread crumbs until lightly browned. Sprinkle over dumplings. Yield: 15 dumplings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC