Stuffed Potato Dumplings Recipe
"THIS IS A sticky part of the meal to prepare, but these dumplings are so good they're worth the mess! When I was a child, I loved to watch the cooking dumplings pop to the top of the pot of boiling water. We youngsters always had two helpings...one with sauerbraten gravy and the other with warm plum jam on top!
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 slices dry bread, cut into small cubes
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- For croutons, melt butter in small skillet; brown bread cubes. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, boil potatoes in water to cover until tender. Cool; rice potatoes and place in a large bowl. Add the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Stir in eggs; beat until mixture holds it shape.
- With lightly floured hands, shape about 2 tablespoons dough into a ball, placing a few croutons in center of each ball. Repeat with remaining dough and croutons. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Drop dumplings into boiling salted water (2 teaspoons salt to 1 quart water). Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Drain. Melt butter in a small skillet; cook and stir the bread crumbs until lightly browned. Sprinkle over dumplings. Yield: 15 dumplings.
Originally published as Potato Dumplings in Reminisce January/February 1994, p47
Reviews for Stuffed Potato Dumplings(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 6, 2014
Hi foodismylife...ricing potatoes means to use a very handy kitchen tool called a ricer. See cooking.com for RSVP International Ricer...it's the best on the market.
Reviewed Dec. 31, 2013
By ricing the potatoes do you mean we have stuff them with rice?