Stuffed Pork Tenderloin with Shiitake Mushroom Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup water
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 5 cups coarsely chopped fresh shiitake mushrooms (about 3/4 pound), divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh sage or 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 5 cups soft bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, divided
- 2 pork tenderloins (about 1-1/4 pound each)
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring water and porcini mushrooms to a boil. Remove from the heat; let stand 20-30 minutes or until mushrooms are softened. Using a slotted spoon, remove mushrooms; finely chop and set aside. Strain soaking liquid through a fine mesh strainer, reserving 2/3 cup.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink. Remove with a slotted spoon. Remove drippings, reserving 2 tablespoons. Saute 4 cups shiitake mushrooms in reserved drippings until tender.
- 3. Add rosemary, sage, porcini mushrooms and 1/3 cup mushroom soaking liquid; cook 2 minutes longer, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; stir in the bread crumbs, 2 tablespoons parsley and sausage.
- 4. Preheat oven to 425°. Make a lengthwise slit down the center of each tenderloin to within 1/2 in. of bottom. Open so meat lies flat. Cover with plastic wrap; flatten to 1/4-in. to 1/2-in. thickness. Remove plastic wrap.
- 5. Spoon half of the stuffing down center of each tenderloin. Close roasts; tie several times with kitchen string and secure ends with toothpicks. Sprinkle each roast with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- 6. Place tenderloins on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, 35-45 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in pork reads 160°. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.
- 7. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, saute remaining shiitake mushrooms in butter until tender. Sprinkle with flour; stir until blended. Gradually add broth and remaining 1/3 cup mushroom soaking liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in remaining parsley, salt and pepper. Serve with pork. Yield: 8 servings (2 cups sauce).
2 slices stuffed pork with 1/4 cup sauce: 367 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 938mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 35g protein.
Reviews for Stuffed Pork Tenderloin with Shiitake Mushroom Sauce
"I tried this recipe a few months ago for 5 people and it came out wonderful. Now I am going to serve it again to 14 people. Will keep this recipe on file for special occasions."
"This is a great recipe! My entire family loved it and went back for seconds."
"Using this recipe, I just had the most favorable Pork Tenderloin that I have ever had!"
"Wonderful flavor!! Added 1/2 tsp Better Than Boullion/chicken to sauce."
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.