I love to bring these pastries with me to potlucks to serve as an appetizer. Everyone is so delighted with them, I get several requests for the recipe.—Anita Moffett, Rewey, Wisconsin
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 pound feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (16 ounces, 14-inch x 9-inch sheet size) frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups unsalted butter, melted
- To make filling, press spinach in fine strainer to remove all excess moisture; combine with cheeses, eggs, nutmeg and pepper. Set aside.
- To assemble pastries, have the following ready: melted butter, pastry brush, knife, a clean, slightly damp towel, the filling, baking sheet and large work surface. Open box of dough; carefully unfold sheets. Pull off 2 sheets; place together on work surface and brush lightly with butter. Pull off another sheet. Place directly over others; brush again with butter. Repeat until you have layered 5 sheets. Cover unused dough with damp towel.
- Cut prepared layers in half vertically, then cut halves into 6 strips vertically. Place 1-1/2 teaspoons of filling at the top of each strip. Fold each strip into triangles (as you would fold a flag), starting at bottom near filling. Repeat with additional layers of phyllo dough until the filling is gone. Place pastries on ungreased baking sheet; brush with butter.
- Bake at 400° until golden brown, about 10-15 minutes. (Uncooked pastries can be frozen for later use. Frozen pastries can go directly into oven, but baking time must be increased.) Yield: about 60 pastries.
Originally published as Stuffed Phyllo Pastries in Taste of Home's Best of Country Cooking 1st Edition 1993
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Stuffed Phyllo Pastries
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review