Stuffed Peppers with Quinoa Recipe
Quinoa adds crunch, corn lends sweetness and color, and red pepper flakes ratchet up the heat in these tender stuffed peppers. Whole wheat rolls or breadsticks and a pitcher of iced tea make for a standout supper. —Joyce Moynihan, Lakeville, Minnesota
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Bake: 35 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 4 large green peppers
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce, divided
- 3/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1. Drain tomatoes reserving juice; set aside. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- 2. Meanwhile, cut peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds. In a Dutch oven, cook peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; invert onto paper towels.
- 3. In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, parsley, paprika, salt, pepper flakes and pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in one can tomato sauce, corn, quinoa and tomatoes; heat through.
- 4. Spoon into pepper halves. Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine the reserved tomato juice and remaining tomato sauce; pour over peppers.
- 5. Cover and bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until peppers are tender. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
2 stuffed pepper halves equals 386 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 622 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 26 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC