Stuffed Onions Recipe
- 6 medium yellow onions (about 2 pounds)
- 2 bacon strips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash each pepper and ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- Additional parsley, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, bring a small amount of water to a boil. Peel onions; using a slotted spoon, place onions in boiling water. Cook for 4-6 minutes more until softened; remove and let stand until cool enough to handle. Cut a 1/4-in. slice off the top of each onion. Remove center, leaving a 1/2-in shell. Chop centers and tops of onions; set aside. In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp; remove to paper towel to drain. In the drippings, saute chopped onion until tender. Stir in bread crumbs and parsley. Add the butter and mushrooms; cook until mushrooms are tender. Add bacon, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stuff onion shells; place in an ungreased shallow 1-qt. baking dish. Pour broth around onions. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 45 minutes or until tender, basting frequently during the first 15 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 143 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 286mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein
Reviews for Stuffed Onions
"These onions are a great accompaniment for roasts. I like to add chopped celery to the ingredients to be sauteed."