My husband's job takes him away from home a good deal. When he returns, his first request is always for this stuffed meat loaf!—Lisa Williams, Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Recommended: 25 of Our Cheesiest Recipes Ever
- 1-1/4 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 pound bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1-1/2 cups herb-seasoned dry bread stuffing
- 1 egg, beaten
- 5 tablespoons ketchup, divided
- 3 tablespoons steak sauce, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 small green pepper, diced
- 8 to 10 fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 ounces thinly sliced fully cooked ham, optional
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- In a bowl, combine ground beef, sausage, stuffing, egg, 3 tablespoons ketchup and 2 tablespoons steak sauce. Mix well.
- Pat half of the meat mixture into a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Layer with tomato, onion, green pepper, mushrooms, ham if desired and Swiss cheese. Cover with remaining meat mixture; press down firmly to seal. (Mixture may be higher than the top of the pan.)
- Combine remaining ketchup and steak sauce; drizzle over top of meat loaf. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°, draining off fat when necessary. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Stuffed Meat Loaf in Country Ground Beef 1993, p34
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Stuffed Meat Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review