- In a large saucepan, saute onion and green pepper in olive oil until
- tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in all remaining
- sauce ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer
- for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Uncover, simmer 10-15 minutes
- longer or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, for manicotti, cook beef and onion in a skillet until the
- meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain;
- cool slightly.
- Squeeze spinach thoroughly to remove excess water; add to the skillet
- with 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, eggs, oregano, salt and pepper. Mix
- well. Refrigerate 1-1/2 cups of the sauce (makes 4 cups)
- for another recipe.
- Pour 1 cup of the remaining sauce into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Stuff manicotti with the meat mixture; arrange over the sauce. Pour
- another 1-1/2 cups of sauce on top. Sprinkle with the mozzarella and
- remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a thermometer
- reads 160°. Yield: 7 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 505 calories, 24 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 172 mg cholesterol, 976 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 35 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.