Stuffed Green Peppers Recipe
My family especially enjoys this dish in the summer when fresh tomatoes and green peppers are readily available. This recipe was given to me by my mother-in-law, they always ask me to make it for them!
- 6 medium fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 4 medium green peppers
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup instant rice, cooked
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, combine tomatoes, onion, celery, tomato sauce, water, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, cut tops off of green peppers and remove seeds; set aside. In a bowl, combine ground beef, rice, basil and remaining salt and pepper; mix well. Fill peppers with beef mixture. Carefully place peppers in tomato sauce. Spoon some sauce over tops of peppers.
- 3. Cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until beef is cooked and peppers are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 324 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 1,565 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 27 g protein.
Reviews for Stuffed Green Peppers
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC