Stuffed Green Peppers Recipe
- 6 medium fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 4 medium green peppers
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup Minute® White Rice, cooked
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, combine tomatoes, onion, celery, tomato sauce, water, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut tops off of green peppers and remove seeds; set aside. In a bowl, combine ground beef, rice, basil and remaining salt and pepper; mix well. Fill peppers with beef mixture. Carefully place peppers in tomato sauce. Spoon some sauce over tops of peppers.
- Cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until beef is cooked and peppers are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Stuffed Green Peppers(5)
Sort By :
By not boiling the green peppers, the taste is more vibrant and the fresh tomato sauce makes it taste fresh of out the garden, I did however bake mine at 350 for 1hour with a cover and they were wonderful...
I love this receipe with the exception of the sodium. I reduced the amount of sodium to 1/2 teaspoon, increased the tomato sauce to 16 oz, added 2 teaspoons of sugar and eliminated the water. The sugar eliminates the bitterness of the peppers and the acidity from the tomatoes.
try rubbing the inside of the green pepper with a little salt. Takes away the "green", or bitter taste of the pepper. Also the pepper seems to cook from inside out, and is very tender.
Good recipe, however, I cooked hamburger before simmering peppers stuffed. Also needs more seasonings as were a bit bland. Otherwise a very good recipe : )
I have made this recipe before.It is very good.It is easy to make and on a hot day the oven isn't on.