Stuffed Green Pepper Soup
“My husband and I first tasted this soup in a restaurant and just loved it,” recalls KayLyn VanderVeen in Grand Rapids, Michigan. “Because I’m diabetic, I came up with this healthier—but just as tasty—version!”
TIP: SERVE WITH CRUSTY ROLLS AND A GREEN SALAD FOR A VERY HEARTY MEAL, KAYLYN SUGGESTS.
3 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 6 uncooked breakfast turkey sausage links
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Dash pepper
- 3/4 cup cooked rice
- Crumble sausage into a saucepan; cook over medium heat until no
- longer pink. Drain. Add green pepper, onion and water. Cover and
- cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until
- vegetables are tender. Stir in the tomato soup, garlic powder and
- pepper; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add rice; heat through.
- Yield: 3 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 263 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 1,162 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 13 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat.