These stuffed tomatoes make delicious use of vegetables straight from the garden. As a side dish, they're a mouthwatering complement to any meal.
- 4 medium fresh tomatoes
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 medium carrot, coarsely chopped
- 8 radishes, coarsely chopped
- 2 green onions with tops, thinly sliced
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 teaspoons seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Cut a thin slice from top of each tomato. Leaving a 1/2-in.- thick shell, scoop out pulp and discard. Invert tomatoes onto paper towels to drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt 4 tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat. Saute the carrot, radishes, green onions, cucumber, peas, parsley, oregano, garlic and salt until the vegetables are tender.
- Stuff tomatoes and place in a greased shallow baking dish. In a small skillet, melt remaining butter; stir in the Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs and sugar. Sprinkle over tomatoes. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20 minutes or until crumbs are lightly browned. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Stuffed Garden Tomatoes in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p10
Reviews for Stuffed Garden Tomatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review