French toast gets special treatment from Edna Hoffman of Hebron, Indiana. She stuffs each thick slice with Swiss cheese and sizzling sausage for a satisfying meal-in-one.
- 1 package (8 ounces) frozen fully cooked breakfast sausage patties
- 8 slices French bread (1-1/2 inches thick)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Maple syrup, optional
- Heat sausage patties according to package directions; cut into bite-size pieces. Cut a pocket in the crust of each slice of bread. Butter the inside of pocket. In a small bowl, combine sausage and cheese. Stuff into pockets.
- In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs, milk, sugar and cinnamon; dip both sides of bread. Cook on a greased hot griddle until golden brown on both sides. Serve with syrup if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Stuffed French Toast in Quick Cooking September/October 1998, p13
Reviews for Stuffed French Toast
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review