- 1 carton (8 ounces) reduced-fat spreadable strawberry cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted and chopped
- 8 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1-1/2 cups frozen unsweetened mixed berries
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, orange peel and cinnamon until blended; stir in almonds. Cut a pocket in the side of each slice of bread; fill with 2 tablespoons cream cheese mixture.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk egg substitute, milk and vanilla. Dip both sides of bread into egg mixture. Cook on a greased hot griddle until golden brown on both sides.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in water and syrup until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in berries; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5-8 minutes or until heated through. Serve with French toast. Yield: 4 servings (1-1/3 cups sauce).
Originally published as Stuffed French Toast with Maple Berry Sauce in Breakfast & Brunch Bookazine 2014, p58
Reviews for Stuffed French Toast with Maple Berry Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review