Stuffed French Toast with Berry Sauce Recipe
As the oldest of seven children growing up on a farm, if I wasn't milking the cows, I was making the meals. My love for cooking has continued through the years.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- FRENCH TOAST:
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 slices French bread (1-in. thick)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups loose-pack frozen blueberries
- 1. In a bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, orange peel and cinnamon until smooth; set aside. In a shallow bowl, combine eggs, milk and vanilla. Cut a pocket in the crust of each slice of bread. Stuff each pocket with 1-2 tablespoons filling. Dip bread in egg mixture on both sides. Fry on a greased hot griddle for 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown. For syrup, combine water, maple syrup, sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; boil 2 minutes to thicken. Reduce heat; add blueberries and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until berries are tender. Serve over French toast. Yield: 4-6 servings (1-1/2 cups syrup).
1 serving (2 each) equals 498 calories, 25 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 171 mg cholesterol, 486 mg sodium, 58 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC