As the oldest of seven children growing up on a farm, if I wasn't milking the cows, I was making the meals. My love for cooking has continued through the years.
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- FRENCH TOAST:
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 slices French bread (1-in. thick)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups loose-pack frozen blueberries
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, orange peel and cinnamon until smooth; set aside. In a shallow bowl, combine eggs, milk and vanilla. Cut a pocket in the crust of each slice of bread. Stuff each pocket with 1-2 tablespoons filling. Dip bread in egg mixture on both sides. Fry on a greased hot griddle for 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown. For syrup, combine water, maple syrup, sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; boil 2 minutes to thicken. Reduce heat; add blueberries and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until berries are tender. Serve over French toast. Yield: 4-6 servings (1-1/2 cups syrup).
Originally published as Stuffed French Toast with Berry Sauce in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook 1994, p46
Reviews for Stuffed French Toast with Berry Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review