Stuffed French Toast with Apricot Syrup Recipe
The recipe takes a little longer to prepare than regular French toast, but I think it's worth it, especially on holiday mornings. The sweet apricot syrup complements the cream cheese filling. —Karen Leutz, Sylvania, Ohio
- 8 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- APRICOT SYRUP:
- 1 jar (12 ounces) apricot preserves
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1. Cut a pocket through the crust of each slice of bread. In a bowl, beat the cream cheese and pineapple; stir in pecans. Stuff into pockets. In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs, cream, vanilla and ginger; dip both sides of bread. Cook on a greased hot griddle until golden brown on both sides.
- 2. Combine syrup ingredients in a saucepan; heat until warmed, stirring constantly. Serve with the French toast. Yield: 4 servings (1-1/3 cups syrup).
1 serving (1 each) equals 812 calories, 47 g fat (21 g saturated fat), 317 mg cholesterol, 459 mg sodium, 89 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 15 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC