Stuffed French Bread Recipe
- 1 loaf (1 pound, about 20 inches) unsliced French bread
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Cut the top third off the loaf of bread; carefully hollow out top and bottom, leaving a 1-in. shell. (Discard removed bread or save for another use.) Set loaf aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook the sausage, mushrooms, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder and oregano. Stir in the sausage mixture.
- 3. Line the bottom bread shell with mozzarella slices; top with sausage mixture. Replace bread top; wrap in foil. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Cool for 5 minutes before slicing. Yield: 20 slices.
1 slice equals 226 calories, 14 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 468 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 10 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.