Family and friends are always impressed when this entree appears on the table, but it's actually quite easy. I sometimes assemble the steak roll in the morning and refrigerate before browning. The rich tomato sauce tastes great over mashed potatoes. —Nadeen Shrewberry, Hickory, North Carolina
Recommended: 52 Date Night Dinners
- 1 beef flank steak (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion, divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 cups cubed seasoned stuffing
- 3/4 cup water, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- Flatten steak to 1/4-in. thickness. In a skillet, saute 1/4 cup onion in 1 tablespoon oil until golden brown. Add stuffing, 1/4 cup water and poultry seasoning; cook and stir until water is absorbed. Spoon over steak; roll up tightly jelly-roll style, starting with long side. Secure with toothpicks or kitchen string.
- Combine the flour, salt and pepper. Coat meat with flour mixture. In a Dutch oven, brown meat on all sides in remaining oil. add the tomatoes, ketchup and remaining water and onion. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours.
- Add green pepper and mushrooms; cook 15 minutes longer or until meat reaches desired doneness. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Stuffed Flank Steak in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2001, p64
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Stuffed Flank Steak with Tomato Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review