- 1 beef flank steak (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1/3 cup garlic-herb spreadable cheese
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 3/4 pound whole fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced, divided
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and julienned
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup sherry
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Split steak horizontally from a long side to within 1/2 in. of opposite side. Turn steak so that a long side is facing you; open steak so it lies flat. Cover with plastic wrap and flatten to 1/4-in. thickness. Remove plastic.
- Spread cheese over steak to within 1/2 in. of edges. Layer with pesto, 1-3/4 cups mushrooms, spinach, red peppers, pepper and salt. Roll up jelly-roll style, rolling steak away from you; tie with kitchen string at 1-1/2-in. intervals. Rub with 1 tablespoon oil.
- In a large ovenproof skillet, brown steak on all sides. Bake in the skillet at 375° for 40-50 minutes or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Remove from the pan; cover and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute shallot and remaining mushrooms in remaining oil until tender. Add broth and sherry to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 15 minutes. Add cream and bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Serve with sliced beef. Yield: 6 servings (1-1/2 cups sauce).
Originally published as Stuffed Flank Steak with Mushroom Sherry Cream in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2011, p54
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Stuffed Flank Steak with Mushroom Sherry Cream
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review