Stuffed Cornish Hens Recipe
With a golden and flavorful stuffing, these tender hens are a special-occasion entree for just the two of us.—Wanda Jean Sain, Hickory, North Carolina
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced chives
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 2 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1. In a small skillet, saute onion and rice in 2 tablespoons butter until rice is browned. Add the water, soup, lemon juice, chives, parsley and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
- 2. Sprinkle hen cavities with salt and pepper; stuff with rice mixture. Place with breast side up on a rack in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Melt remaining butter and add tarragon; brush some over the hens.
- 3. Cover loosely and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 30-45 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 180° for hens and 165° for stuffing, basting frequently with tarragon butter. Yield: 2 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC