Stuffed Cornish Game Hens Recipe
THIS ENTREE makes an ordinary day special. Whenever I cook Cornish hens for my husband and me, it stirs up warm memories of family times around the holiday dinner table. I bake the extra stuffing separately so we're sure to have enough. -Nancy Aubrey, Ruidoso, New Mexico
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 3 cups crumbled corn bread
- 3 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3/4 teaspoon chopped fresh mint or 1/4 teaspoon dried mint flakes
- 1. In a large skillet or saucepan, saute celery and onion in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in corn bread, bread crumbs, pimientos, broth, egg, poultry seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; mix well.
- 2. Stuff each hen with 3/4 cup stuffing. Place extra stuffing in a greased 1-qt. baking dish; refrigerate. Place hens breast side up on a rack in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover loosely with foil; bake at 375° for 45 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt the remaining butter; add garlic, lemon peel, mint and remaining salt and pepper. Brush over hens. Bake 15-30 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 180° for hens and 165° for stuffing. Bake the extra stuffing, covered, for 30 minutes. Yield: 2 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC