I travel every year to Peru on a medical mission trip and was introduced to quinoa there. For years I made a similar chicken dish with rice, so I tried it with quinoa. We love it. —Joyce Moynihan, Lakeville, Minnesota
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 fresh thyme sprig
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 green onions, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2/3 cup chopped dried apricots
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup dry sherry
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 large tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a small saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Add quinoa and thyme. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat; fluff with a fork. Discard thyme.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add green onions and celery; cook and stir until tender. Add cooked quinoa. Stir in the dried fruits, lemon juice, lemon peel and salt.
- In a large saucepan, mix the first six chicken ingredients until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until slightly thickened. Add the apple, cranberries and walnuts. Stir in preserves and butter until melted.
- Cut a pocket horizontally in the thickest part of each chicken breast. Fill each with 2-3 tablespoons quinoa mixture; secure with toothpicks. Place remaining quinoa mixture in a greased 1-qt. baking dish; cover with foil. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Carefully brown stuffed chicken on both sides. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; pour apple mixture over top.
- Bake chicken and quinoa, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 170° and quinoa is heated through. Serve chicken with quinoa. Discard toothpicks before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Cranberry Quinoa in Taste of Home December/January 2013, p29
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Cranberry Quinoa
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review