Stuffed Cherries Dipped in Chocolate Recipe
I make these delectable cherry treats in early summer when the cherries are ripe and plentiful. A summertime favorite, they freeze very nicely and are a wonderful treat to serve guests throughout the summer.—Judy Bond, Duncan, British Columbia
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh dark sweet cherries with stems
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons ground hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 cups white baking chips
- 12 teaspoons shortening, divided
- 1-1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1. Pit cherries through the sides, leaving stems intact. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Stir in hazelnuts and syrup. Pipe into cherries.
- 2. In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt vanilla chips and 5 teaspoons shortening at 70% power. Microwave at additional 10- to 20-second intervals, stirring until smooth. In another bowl, repeat with milk chocolate chips and 3-1/2 teaspoons shortening. Repeat with semisweet chips and remaining shortening.
- 3. Holding stems, dip a third of the stuffed cherries into melted white chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Repeat with remaining cherries and milk chocolate and semisweet chocolate. Dip the white-coated cherries a second time to completely cover; let stand until set.
- 4. Reheat remaining melted chocolate if necessary. Drizzle white chocolate over cherries dipped in milk or semisweet chocolate. Drizzle milk or semisweet chocolate over white chocolate-dipped cherries. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: 5 dozen.
1 stuffed cherry equals 105 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 20 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC