- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/3 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 4 large portobello mushrooms (about 4 inches), stems removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tomato slices
- 4 lettuce leaves
- In a large bowl, combine the Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture; mix well. Shape into eight thin patties. Combine cheese and bacon. Spoon into center of four patties. Top with remaining patties; press edges firmly to seal.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat for 6 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear.
- Meanwhile, brush mushroom caps with oil. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until tender. Place mushrooms, rounded side down, on serving plates. Top each with tomato, lettuce and a burger. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Stuffed Burgers on Portabellos in Backyard Living July/August 2004, p18
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Stuffed Burgers on Portobellos
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 13, 2008
"Wonderful! At last...something really good tasting for diabetics."